Starts tomorrow!
Peder and I have plans to go on Wednesday. I have only missed 2 Minnesota fairs in all of my 31 years!
My family would always go in the early morning and have breakfast there. We usually went on my dad's birthday. (which we will this year) We hit the barns first. I love to visit the poultry barn, ducks & chickens crack me up. I used to ride the giant slide, but the thrill just doesn't match the price tag anymore. It used to be a lot taller (or maybe I was just a lot shorter?) I like the sky ride but have switched to the new open air ones instead of the capsules that take you from the Ag building to the midway. I will be chowing on pronto pups, cheese curds, & Sweet Martha's cookies.
We also always visit the creative activities, education, technology & fine arts buildings.
What are your State Fair traditions, culinary or otherwise?
Here is my fave State Fair ad from last year. I haven't been listening to the radio so I don't know if they are using them again or not.
"what makes one goat better than another goat? one goat better than another goat"
"If you can't lean it at the fair, you probably didn't need to know it anyway"
there are more ads form 2005 here

I never went to the State Fair until we marched for band (yes, I was one of those geeks--actually, I twirled rifle), so probably my first time was 1990. We always ate at the House of LaChoy. I know, how pathetic. Also, my favorite T-shirt came from the State Fair, my "Freddie" T-shirt. I can never thank Hans and Jodi enough for such a beautiful item of apparel!
ReplyDeleteI love going to the State Fair too. My favorite places are the Arts & Crafts, Fine Arts, Dog judging and training, the little mechanical man that pulls saltwater taffy (I think that has been around since I was a little kid, and the flower arranging. When you go to the Fine Arts building this year, look at the winners for the water color division. My boss, Paul, took 2nd in the state on his watercolor - "Katrina."
ReplyDeleteHave fun!!
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI made a mistake on the title of Paul's 2nd place water color. The correct title is "I will return to New Orleans."