...it was just 10 days ago we were digging out from at least 2 feet of snow.
Today I went downtown to meet with someone from a temp agency. I took the bus and I am sooo glad I did because it was wonderful to walk along Nicollet mall in the sunshine with only a light sweater on! I'm sure we got up to 60. When I got home I opened all of the second floor windows.
If it were like this in October I'd be reveling in the crispness of the air. THIS is when I love Minnesota. The dramatic changes are so refreshing.
This temp agency experience was much better than my last one. Dolphin told me my 10-key skills suck (it took two hours of testing to get to that point. I could have told them that over the phone) and that they couldn't use me. Apparently they have no use for responsible, loyal, technically inclined workers.
Office Team said they weren't concerned and would work to match my skills with a position. We'll see what comes of it. I have never worked in an large office in my life. I processed books in a library back room, and I did scheduling at the U of MN Language Center. Ten employees tops. I'm a little nervous about the prospect.

All of the temping that I have done in Providence and San Diego was through OfficeTeam...they were always nice to work with and exactly none of the jobs that I did included 10-key work. The only skill required seemed to be a bottom capable of warming a chair. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThat makes me feel a little better, though subbing sounds lots more interesting.
ReplyDeleteWell, the fun part of temping is that you never know where you'll wind up or what luck you'll find. My (one and only REAL) job in Mankato was found through temping and I ended up staying for nine years. I temped at a mental hospital in Providence and at a very cool architectural firm in San Diego. As I said, I didn't get to DO anything much more interesting than making some phone calls, filing and copying...but the different people and atmospheres were nice.
ReplyDelete