Wednesday I start working for Office Team at the Wells Fargo Mortgage office that really close to our house (used to be the Honeywell campus). It sounds like a good gig. An "ongoing" position that has something to do with reverse mortgages, so most likely taking calls from older people.
Even though we are super close, it has been agreed by my husband and father that I am not allowed to walk the five blocks across Lake Street to get to work. Fortunately, parking isn't an issue there, and if my car were to give up the ghost, I could walk, pepper spray in hand, to work easily.

Get a tazer. Congrats on the job, you never know where it might lead. You may find you enjoy the world of mortgages and eventually become a high-powered, suit-wearing banker-chick. Seriously, though, is the neighborhood that dangerous? I'm just curious.
ReplyDeleteI think the guys are more worried about me and baby, than if it were just me alone. Of course, then I'd take my bike
ReplyDeleteNo place is as bad as it sounds, but our neighborhood certainly isn't good. There have been a rash of early morning bus stop muggings recently. And we definitly have gangs and drugs around the neighborhood. The drunks and prostitutes come out this time of year too. At least our house is lovely!
On the other hand, for an entire year I walked to work at my school four blocks away and never had anyone say boo. I think as long as I didn't carry any kind of obvious purse and stayed aware of my surroundings I would be fine.
I keep hoping that our area will go the way of Northeast, and gentrify. Right now there are too many poorly maintained rentals. The Midtown Market, in the old Sears building, might help, and they are putting a Dunn Brothers in an old gas station about 6 blocks south of us.
I have a feeling, if there aren't some major changes, we'll get fed up and move before baby hits 2.
No matter what, at least I won't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm with your dad and Peder - drive, don't walk. There's an old saying that fits this situation: "Better safe than sorry."
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, Sarah!
ReplyDelete