July 29, 2007

Finally finished

I finally finished the last Harry Potter book. I can't say it exceeded my expectations. It might be that I really enjoyed how light the first few books were and just couldn't enjoy it as much when the story turned so dark, but the last three books have been read out of a need simply to know how it played out. I could have used some Cliff Notes and would have been just as (or more) happy.

I'll just say I'm glad it is over and I look forward to reading the first three books with our child(ren). I'll leave the last four for daddy to read with them ;o)

Anybody want to discuss?
I'll put up a preemptive SPOILER ALERT for the comments section.


2 comments:

  1. I thought the really tense battle sections were well done, but got tired of hearing how much the main trio were griping at each other in between.

    I was pretty disappointed that Harry didn't actually die. I really liked the revelation that he and Voldemort were so connected that Harry would have to sacrifice himself. It reminded me of the Abraham sacrificing Isaac story that always felt entirely sick to me (Just testing? c'mon that ain't cool)

    IMO Rowling totally copped out with the happily ever after ending. If you're gonna make a story that dark and complex, you can't just turn on the sunshine and rainbows machine at the end. It doesn't flow.

    Your $.02?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the ending and had no problem with it. I do think there was a rather large cop out with the entire story of why Harry was spared from Voldemort's spells. It was a spell that could do anything at anytime, depending on what the author wanted it to do.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.