Did I mention how I hate sitting in traffic?
I had a wedding today out in Woodbury. I had been to the church before. It's a new building, but the sanctuary has an old feel to it. Great ceremony, priest sang a solo blessing beautifully, but I digress.
I had two choices for routes to take. Mapquest kept saying I-94 was the fastest and shortest route. Last time I went I took 494. I went with mapquest. While I agree that this would have been the shortest route, it certainly wasn't the fastest. Three lanes of 94 had been shut down. I pondered getting off and finding a way around the construction, but after last weekends's detour I am a little wary of them.
12 MPH was my top speed. 40 minutes later I had traveled from Dale Ave. to Mound Blvd. From this experience I learned two things:
1. When the sign says "right 3 lanes closed ahead", don't, under any circumstance, dash for the left lane. It is the slowest lane. There is science behind it, but I won't go into that now. I swear hundreds of cars passed me as I sat patiently (sort of) in the lane we were all supposed to be in.
2. This is why I have bumper stickers on my car. To entertain the people stuck behind me. For a large majority of my crawl down the highway, I was behind a dark green Chrysler New Yorker that had a De Colores bumper sticker with a rooster on the right of the sticker. Kind of like this but with no rainbow.
I really don't know what it refers to. I have seen these before, but have never had this much time to ponder them. My Spanish is limited to that which I learned on Sesame Street (hola, adios, abierto, cerrado, & estoy), cartoons (Arriba! Arriba! Andale! Andale! & ay Caramba), and movies (hasta la vista, baby). Despite my lack of bilinguality, I am confident that it means "of colors." That is as far as I get. But why the rooster? I seem to remember Latino commedians referring to a song by that name, and I have this idea that it is related to christianity but can neither confirm or deny that. Wikipedia came up empty. Google had lots of pages in Spanish. Maybe I am destined to ponder this great mystery forever...
...Or maybe one of my many Christian friends will enlighten me.
Either way is okay.

See if this helps:
ReplyDeletehttp://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/37669