September 17, 2006

Oh! Now I remember...

Last weekend, Peder and I stopped at Home Depot, to pick up some coaxial cable. I had planned to hook the cable up on the third floor so he can watch football in peace. Or maybe it is I can have some peace while he watches football. I forget which.
So we ask the guy in the wire dept. to cut us 45 ft. Actually, I asked him. He asked if we needed ends on the cable. I said no. I was planning to hook it up to a wall plate. Peder questioned my logic, but I assured him I knew what I was doing.
The funny part was the "cable guy" kept looking at Peder. He desperately wanted to be speaking to the male of our twosome. Poor guy.
This isn't my first encounter with sexism at HD. I get called "honey" more often in their plumbing department than any place else in the word.

A small twist to the story is that I ran into a few snags (figuratively) while running the cable. (How does one drill into a heating duct?) So today I called my brother to assist his poor helpless big sis. He helped me drill holes in the wall and pull cable.

Unfortunately, in the process, we discovered that the voids on either side of the third floor are completely empty. No insulation whatsoever. There may be some between the 2nd & 3rd floors, but there isn't anything inside the area under the roof. Stupid DIY remodelers. There is also a soup can size hole in the eaves. Who knows what has been living in there. Grrrrr. Now I have to open up both sides of the 3rd floor and insulate before winter. At least now I know, and it may improve the living conditions up there, not to mention our heating bills.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.