I'm starting to come around about sharing our name choices. Or, maybe the pressure is getting to me. It seems to be a big deal to a surprising number of people.
The issue now, is that I'm kind of a commitment phobe. I just picture everyone else getting attached to particular names, and then when we meet the little bugger face to face, we'll take one look and realize that isn't his/her name. See? I'm just saving you all from future heartache! ;o)
My own parents didn't name me until after I came home from the hospital. It seemed to work really well for them. I love my name. I can't bear to part with it. Maybe it's genetic, or part of a rich tradition:
My mother, and her mother before her, and her mother before her, were all unsure of our unborn child's name at birth. And someday, little Godot, your potential child shall be nameless too.
I still haven't named the car I've had for 8 years.
It took me two weeks and 15 tries to name my cat. Every time I talk to her, I'm sure she's thinking
"That's not my name. Why does she keep calling me that?"Of course, I can't say her actual name any more than she can say mine.
Sigh. Am I just crazy?

You are not crazy. You do not have to name the baby before it is born. You do not have to tell us what you are thinking.. Unless you want to make stuff up to take the pressure off! I am not sure you should change the name 15 times after it is born and at home...
ReplyDeleteI think whatever you want to do is FINE. I am all for having a list of "ideas" but not deciding until you meet your little one face to face. You're right - what if you pick "Gilda" and really she's more a "Henrietta?" You won't know til you know. And quite frankly - people are RUDE about names that they *don't* like. They aren't so much after the little one's born and soon realize that Gilda couldn't be anything but a Gilda.
ReplyDeleteCarrie!? How did you know Gilda was our first choice?! J/K
ReplyDeleteI agree that I don't really want to hear anyone's opinion of the names we choose. Unless it's "I love that name!" Then I totally want to hear it.
Although now that you mention it...Gilda...hmmm
You'll get no pressure from me for names. This is an honor for you and Peder.
ReplyDeleteSo, how are you feeling? I hope all is well.